GMOs...Genetically modified organisms....what on earth are they?
They are foods created artificially by genetic manipulation. In other words, you might eat a strawberry containing a gene from a fish in the arctic to make it resistant to frost.
No big deal but…you just ate a deformed, almost abnormal fruit which does not naturally exist in nature. Plus we have no idea of its impact on us because the GMO producers have not studied it. This is like taking a medication which has never been tested on rats or humans before it was marketed & sold. Have I scared you enough already…oops wait there is more…
In case you did not realize 60 to 75% of every manufactured food in a supermarket that you consume on a daily basis contains GMOs. You heard me right everything that contains corn, soya or canola (colza), even some tomato & potato strains are GMOs. These foods represent 99% of all cultivated land.
What this really means is everything you eat from your morning cereal to your favorite cookies contain some type of GMO:
- Almost all Campbell’s soups;
- Dare, Leclerc, Quaker oats granola bars & yes the one & only Oreo cookies from Kraft;
- Cereals from Kellogg’s, General Mills, Post & Quaker Oats i.e anything from Cheerios to Corn Flakes to Capitain Crunch !
- Baby foods like cereals & formulas from Enfalac, Isomil, Similac, Nestle & Heinz (some cookies are not like Pablum, Farley’s etc.). My ….I’m glad I gave Milupa cereals to my daughter as it is non-GMO.
- Beverages from Gatorade, Coca Cola, Kool-Aid, Oasis & Ocean Spray juices, to yes even beers from Molson & Labatt !
For a complete product list please refer to http://www.greenpeace.ca/ to see GMO & non-GMO products.
Why should you be concerned ?
Because none of the GMO foods have been studied. In fact, Canadians & fellow Americans are used as a mega lab rats. We have no clue as to:
- the long term effects on human health,
- the impact of GMOs on our environment & biodiversity, in the case of the strawberry we might never have normal strawberries again because GMO strains will contaminate non GMO strawberry strains (via pollination)
According to the World Health Organization of the UN (the Codex Alimentarius 2002)
- babies, pregnant & lactating mommies & the elderly which have more delicate immune systems, are all especially prone to allergic reactions as they will be more exposed to peanut or shrimp proteins & God knows what other kinds of proteins hidden in GMO foods (but since they are not labeled we have no clue of their presence)
We consume all these products without proper labeling indicating the presence of GMOs in our foodsource: there is no GMO labeling law in Canada nor in the US I believe. So unless you become a proactive consumer & demand GMO labeling, you cannot pressure any of the companies mentioned above to change the GMO ingredients in their products. In France, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes is non- GMO. How come we do not have that option to chose? DEMAND IT…for you, for your kids, for the planet…Just write & request it from Kelloggs & from all the companies who produce such foods. It is your right…Just Do it!
For more info in French check this video:
Your Nutri Health Superhero Celine